24/04/2009

Upgrading to Ubuntu 9.04 and problems with ATI Radeon HD 2400XT

ATI Radeon drivers and Ubuntu is certainly not a dance on roses. After the NTNU IT department installed dualboot with Windows Xp and Ubuntu 8.04 on my work machine everything went smooth, no problems at all, but the problems came when I wanted to upgrade to 9.04, the xorg.conf file had manually been edited and ATI radeon drivers had been downloaded and installed from the native ATI driver site. No support from the NTNU IT department, but I already knew that, I had to admin my machine by myself the day I decided to switch to dualboot, or to say it plain and simple, the day I moved to Ubuntu and Linux.

My screen never came to the Ubuntu boot up screen, meaning that the solution was to edit the xorg.conf file from the command shell prompt.

nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Put this lines under the heading "Device"
Indentifier"Radeon"
Driver"Radeon"

Save with CTRL + O and leave with CTRL + Q

If it doesn't work at first try add the command:

aticonfig --initial

Now Ubuntu 9.04 works with the awful ATI Radeon HD 2400XT drivers.

I hope this could be to any help for other people struggling with the same problem.